Friday 29 May 2015

Graduation and 2015 Race Season

Seeing as it's been a while since my last post and my memory is probably equivalent to that of a smart goldfish at best I'll try my best to recap the semester and then jump right into what's going on now.
Things were pretty hectic with my thesis and final design project for my 4th and final year of undergraduate engineering. I also had slightly more class than first semester so training ended up being quite irregular. All that said, I managed to get through. I've officially got my iron ring and will be doing my convocation in a little over a week. I've also confirmed that I'll be returning to the University of Western Ontario for a graduate degree in biomedical engineering with a biomechanics specialization, and I managed to get a job as a research assistant in London which means I'll be closer to all the racing action this summer.
Training had been going pretty well coming out of exams. Although I was in sort of a slump in the pool, I had a huge 5k pb on the road, and bike numbers were promising. Unfortunately, in terms of training, I'm just coming back from a 25 day trip around Europe during which I only ran about 4 times and went on one leisurely bike tour, so it will be interesting to see how quickly I can get back into shape without getting injured.
Did I mention I'm racing Woodstock a week from now? Yup. Couldn't help myself. It just worked out for travel and since it's a rust buster anyway performance isn't priority. As for the rest of the season, the only race I have planned is the Timmins Heart of Gold Triathlon, which is exciting since I didn't do it last year. I'd like to do TTF, maybe Guelph Lake, and the Detroit draft legal I did last year, but it will all depend on my financial state (I'm broke after that trip), and travel and accommodations as the summer progresses.
Regardless, I'm excited to see what this summer has in store and to move onto the next stage in my life.

Until next time,
Matt M

No comments:

Post a Comment