Saturday 13 April 2013

Bike fit

Today, Simon Dearing came to my house to do my bike fitting. It was much appreciated seeing as there was some confusion in how I was getting to his house to do the bike fit. I am glad he was able to accommodate.

He started off by setting up my bike on the trainer and putting some air in the back tire. Now I can't say I know exactly what he was doing the entire time but it involved some sort of laser level, a measuring tape and and angle measuring device. We pretty much ended up modifying everything possible on the bike. He adjusted the angle of my cleats to mimic my foot's natural tendency to twist, while keeping my knees properly aligned. We also ended up switching to a smaller stem and angling the handle bars up a little. What took the longest was the seat. It seemed like a matter of keeping the pressure even all over the seat while making sure I stay comfortable. It took a while and although it definitely isn't as comfortable as sitting on a real chair I think it was a pretty good improvement. He said my saddle was shaped a little weirdly, as it kind of dips in the middle, but he also said it was a good saddle. Hopefully all goes well once I start riding outside and if not he said to just shoot him and email and we can make adjustments.

I was really impressed with his patience and he seemed very knowledgeable about what he was doing. I should thank Ken for setting me up.

Until next time,
Matt Mahaffy

No comments:

Post a Comment