Friday 12 April 2013

The long road of recovery

I believe I left off last time mentioning that I was taking the week off due to a spill on the bike. I recovered fairly well and so far this week has been pretty good.

I started off on Monday with a 2800m swim. I did quite a bit of it pull as to not aggravate my MCL on my first day back and it seemed to have worked. I decided that this week, as well as maybe even the next few, was going to be easy. My body wasn't going to recover and adjust properly to my training if I took time off every time I feel something is a little off. That being said, Tuesday was a 30 minutes easy spin, Wednesday was a 20 minutes easy jog around the park after a swim in the morning and that was awesome. I haven't ran that length of time consecutively since mid February and now that the weather is starting warm-up it was perfect for running around in the park, weaving in and out of the trees. Thursday I hoped on the bike for 45 mins and had 10 mins of a slightly higher gear just to see how my knee would react. It's definitely no where near 100% at the moment but it'll only be a matter of time before I'm back out hammering the trails harder and faster than ever. During the swim this morning I cut it short at 2400m to avoid over doing it. It was a 3000m set (3x1000m broken into various sets) and seeing that it was "keep the lane together" Alex and Angela were just killing everybody, pretty much not taking any rest and we were forced to keep up. I think that is probably why my knee acted up but like I said, I cut it short to not do any real damage.

Tomorrow I plan on doing another easy spin and if all is well, Sunday will be an easy run. What I am really looking forward to tomorrow though is that I am getting my bike fitted. I am little nervous as I don't know how much longer I will have this bike but it should last me the summer at least and the fit is relatively cheap for all the benefits I should get. I have always had this thought in the back of my mind that the majority of my injuries since switching to triathlon have had something to do with how my bike is set up considering I did it all myself, including the cleat alignment on my shoes. I think I would be happier if he told me I did it wrong so I can put the injury blame on something other than the poor over training habits I had.

To finish off I am just going to mention that classes are done now and my first exam is next Thursday. My schedule is pretty good so as long as I stay on top of it I should have no troubles pulling out a great average this semester. That's all I've got for now.

Until next time,
Matt Mahaffy

No comments:

Post a Comment