Monday 24 June 2013

Injury update

Its been a little while since I last posted. I kind of had my head in the ditch lately, as you might have noticed from the end of my last post. To start with the good news. The foot issue seems as though it was just some bad luck. It went away after a few days of rest and I was back running again. Bad news is I am basically back to square one, volume and intensity wise. I'm pretty sure a good portion of my fitness is still there but my knee has now been giving me more trouble on my bike and swim and none on my run. That being said toady will be my 5th day off in a row, as the chiropractor suggested, and tomorrow I'm going to start off with an easy 10-15mins run.

From here on out is basically going to be training based on feel. Unfortunately, I don't think I will be able to do any real workouts for the remainder of the summer.  I might race the Timmins Triathlon and use it as a little warm up and race it easy, but I still plan on racing in the Toronto Triathlon Festival since I've already signed up. I'm not sure my fitness will qualify me for world's in Edmonton next year, but I'm definitely going to give it my best shot. The rest of the summer will probably be spent just building a proper base. Being that I've more or less dropped my expectations for this season I should have plenty of time to get things right this year. It's extremely early to be building a base, but who knows, maybe I will make a breakthrough come Indoor Track season and I will be able to race for Western. Highly doubtful though considering I hardly even did track in high school. Speaking of Western, I spoke with Guy Schultz about the standards they look for when making the cross country team and I will be no where near those standards come September so I am going to have to push my cross country goals back another year.

Work has been going alright so far, but I've definitely decided that the mining industry isn't for me. All the general skills and knowledge I'm gaining this summer will come in handy later, but something about mining just seems to put me to sleep.

Until next time,
Matt Mahaffy

No comments:

Post a Comment